Quantum Computing – Predictions for 2020
The year 2019 saw seismic shifts in the technology plain with especially with quantum computing making its presence felt in the IT and industrial sectors. Several companies made their progress in quantum computing public, urging an attention shift in the market towards this new-age technology.
In comparison to the others, quantum technology is much advanced and it won’t be wrong to say that we are still in the preliminary stages of development. However, considering the hype, we can expect some noteworthy progress in the coming year.
So, here we are with the top 5 quantum predictions of 2020.
- Competitive Market: The race for quantum supremacy has way passed the state lines. It is more between corporates now, especially after Google self-proclaimed it’s quantum advancement. While it might seem like bragging, its effect on the market has been great. Enterprises and even governments are taking a significant interest in technology and looking for ways to stay ahead of the others.A lot of research is going on in this field at the moment, which is expected to have notable resonance in the overall technology sphere. Whether anyone will reach quantum supremacy, or how much time it might take for one to achieve that comes later but the advancements leading to that stage will procure important results for sure.
- QKD and 5G: As 5G goes online, there will be a surge in the amount of data shift across different platforms, as the new advanced network will lead to an increase in sensors and connected devices. This means that there will be a dire need for heightened data security which can be sufficed by quantum solutions.
Read More: Top 4 Fintech Trends To Watch Out For In 2020
- Hardware Consolidation: The hardware needed for quantum computing is quite expensive and it is a major hurdle for the smaller players in the field to invest in. So there is a high chance that the coming days will see an increased number of mergers where the technology giants will acquire small or mid-level firms. This will make space for significant alliances that might speed up quantum development as a whole.
Read More: Quantum Leap for HashCash in Computing Enhanced Private Key Security
- Academics Investment: For the advancement in Quantum, it is important to create fields of study and research in academia too. As of now, one that is of relevance is the Quantum Initiative Act, which provides support to educational institutions such as MIT, University of Chicago, and Cambridge, etc. These investments are sure to show fruitful results in the overall development of quantum computing in the coming year.
Read More: The Quandary of Quantum – Computers Vs Blockchain
- Investment Surge: Like we mentioned at the beginning of this write-up, in the coming days, a lot of work and projects will surface involving quantum mechanics. This means an increased number of investments to support quantum research and projects. According to market research, since 2012 around 50 companies working with quantum technology have received funding from private investors for their work. In 2018, these companies received total funding of 450 USD which is four times the amount recorded in the previous years. In 2020, the investment is expected to surge by a lot.
These are the few things that we can look forward to in 2020, paving the way to new quantum age.